background_1

Sunday, February 6, 2011

This is what I know

So the last few days I've realized a some things. In a few years when this is published in a longer format for a well-known news magazine (Time, Newsweek, Cosmo), you can pass it up because you've already read it. I like lists, so I'm going to number them for you.

1. Wine + Whining + Email is a great thing. I've had a heck of a last few weeks, lots of deadlines, family stuff, work stuff, lots o' stuff. On Tuesday night I felt as if I would collapse, so instead of crumbling, I poured myself a glass of wine, sat down in front of my computer, and wrote Delaney a huge, long email about all of my troubles. It felt so good to get it out of my head and into a different format. I felt a trillion times better after releasing all of that negative blah into cyberspace, and a billion-trillion times better that my girl D let me share without judgments or opinions.

2. Vomit is gross. The only thing more gross than vomit is someone else's kid's vomit. Thursday and Friday was the annual class trip. On Thursday night, as I was getting all 80 kids settled into their hotel rooms and threatening them within an inch of their life to not disturb the other guests, a student came up to me and said that V felt sick. So I went down to her room and just as I got in there she threw up. All. Over. The. Bathroom. There seemed to be no stopping. There are a LOT of details I won't go into (including one of her dear roomates standing in the bathroom in just a towel because she had just gotten out of the shower) but it was gross. Really, really, gross. Friday morning the group boarded a glass-bottom boat for viewing of the local reef. The board said "Seas normal, 2 feet."  The board was wrong. The seas were easily 6-8 feet. Easily. Probably higher. I know I tend to exaggerate, but the seas were high. Really, really high.  The boat started rocking and the kids started turning green. Really, really green. Then the contents of their hotel buffet breakfast started to return. One. By. One. My stomach at this point was completly turning over but I knew if I let myself get sick there would be no one else (as three other chaperones were green too). So I held it together as I held hair out of the girls' faces, rubbed the backs of the boys, and had the deckhand give me bag after bag. It was so gross. Really, really gross.

3. The Super Bowl to me is like New Year's Eve. Why does everyone care so much about the Super Bowl? It's like NYE. All this hype, parties, plans, and then it's over. I could care less about the Super Bowl. Frank says it's because I don't like football, but I don't think that's entirely it. I don't mind football at all. I mind all the hype and pressure for something that could be potentially great to potentially happen. Whatever. Go Steelers?

4. Cell phones are awesome. Cell phones allow us to be anywhere and communicate with anywhere else at any give time. Let's say hypothetically that Delaney has a fight with her husband in a bar in a downtown city. Let's say that she walks out of the bar because she gets so angry and hurt. Instead of her wallowing in sadness and anger, a cell phone allows her to dial a number in the Sunshine State and get to me. Hypothetically I'm able to listen, calm her down, assess the situation and help her straighten things out. Without a cell phone, that would not have been possible. Hypothetically, a cell phone saved D and her sanity on an otherwise normal Saturday night.

5. Little Miss Magic is downright awesome. I don't need to elaborate on that.

That's all for now. Have a super Super Bowl Sunday, kids. While you're eating wings, drinking beer and yelling at the TV, I'll be sewing some dresses that I've made for LMM's cousins. I love my sewing machine.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment